How to cook Creepy Crawly Sugar Cookies?
- 2 sticks (1 cup) non-dairy butter;
- 1½ cups granulated sugar;
- ¼ cup chickpea flour;
- ¼ cup water;
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract;
- ½ teaspoon salt;
- 2½ cups all purpose flour;
- 4 cups powdered sugar;
- ¼ cup Ener-G Egg Replacer*;
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk (I used almond);
- melted chocolate;
- vegan candies.
- In a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment, beat the vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Meanwhile in a coffee grinder or small blender blend together the chickpea flour and water until smooth and thick. With the motor running, slowly add this to the mixer along with vanilla and salt. Once incorporated, add the flour, scrap down the sides, and beat until combined. Do not overmix.
- Transfer dough onto a clean surface. Pat into a flattened rectangle, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove chilled dough and roll out to ¼”. Using a round cutter cut out as many circles as possible, carefully transferring them onto the prepared baking sheets. Combine the scraps, roll out again and continue. You may need to re-chill the dough in between each roll-out.
- Chill the cookies for 20 more minutes until firm. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire baking rack to finish cooling completely.
- To make the royal icing, beat together powered sugar and Ener-G Egg replacer. With motor running add the non-dairy milk and combine. Turn speed up to high and beat for 5-7 minutes until it is glossy and has formed soft peak.
- Transfer icing into a shallow dish and dip the tops of each cooled cookie. Let the icing harden before decorating with candy and chocolate.
- Makes about 4 dozen.
- You can omit the Ener-G egg replacer. Reduce the amount of milk to ¼ cup and it will still work, however it won’t set up quite as well.
If you like Creepy Crawly Sugar Cookies recipe of this post and other recipes on this website, please share it.